The Albrecht-Kemper serves as a cultural arts center for Northwest Missouri. The Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art has one of the finest collections of 18th- through 21st-century American art in the Midwest region.
The Museum originated in 1913 with the foundation of the St. Joseph Art League–twelve women who sought to increase public awareness and understanding of the arts. With the hope of establishing a public art museum in St. Joseph, the League acquired the William Merritt Chase painting A Venetian Balcony. This purchase, made in 1915 with funds raised at performances, teas and a special showing of the painting in a local department store, became the first work in the Museum’s collection.
The League opened the Albrecht Gallery in 1966 in the former home of Mr. and Mrs. William Albrecht. At the initiation of a major building expansion in 1991, the Museum became The Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art, honoring the patronage of Mr. R. Crosby Kemper.
Through the generosity of the Kemper family and foundations, and many other enthusiastic supporters, the Museum’s collection has grown to include colonial portraits, a rich holding of American landscape paintings, as well as distinguished examples of American Impressionism.
An important Mary Cassatt pastel, Mother Looking Down Embracing Both of Her Children, is a another version of a painting now hanging in the White House. Other highlights include urban realist paintings from the Ashcan School, Custer’s Last Stand by the influential Regionalist Thomas Hart Benton, exciting contemporary works by recent American masters and one of the region’s most comprehensive holdings of 19th-, 20th-, and 21st century works on paper.
Brett Knappe, PhD
816-233-7003 Ext. 304
Registrar/ Exhibitions Manager
816-233-7003 Ext. 302
Director of Marketing & Communications
816-233-7003 Ext. 308
Director of Special Events
816-233-7003 Ext. 305
Director of Education / Museum Shop
816-233-7003 Ext. 301
Guest Services Coordinator