This is a repeating eventjuly 8, 2022 9:30 pm
Portrait Painting with Larry DeGraff
In this two-day workshop will be all about the fundamentals of portraiture. This class will include live demos, discussions, and one-on-one instruction about the basics of mixing realistic
In this two-day workshop will be all about the fundamentals of portraiture. This class will include live demos, discussions, and one-on-one instruction about the basics of mixing realistic colors and creating engaging compositions. This class is designed for artists who have a basic understanding of painting and are ready to go deeper into portraits. Intermediate students will find this class engaging for continuing their craft. Larry teaches in oil, but all mediums are welcome.
Larry DeGraff made the leap to fine art after many years as a greeting card artist for Hallmark Cards. He studied illustration and figurative painting at the Kansas City Art Institute and has received training from some of the best oil painters in the country. Larry paints mostly the landscape but is also inspired to paint still life and figurative pieces. He paints both in the studio and outdoors and finds that painting from life is essential. Larry’s work has earned national awards and been featured in Southwest Art and Plein Air Magazine. Find out more about Larry DeGraff here: https://www.larrydegraff.com/
Lunch will be provided for all participants. Participants will bring their own supplies. The museum will be monitoring CDC guidelines and local health and safety directives to keep participants safe as the event approaches.
How to Participate
July 7 & 8, 2022
9:30 am – 4:00 pm (lunch is included both days)
$220 for the full two-day workshop / $130 for first day only (Thursday, July 7)
Recommended Supply List for Oil and Acrylic Painters:
- The Albrecht Kemper provides tables and table easels for those who work sitting. If you prefer to work standing, please bring your own easel setup.
- Brushes: Flat and/or filbert hog bristles or synthetic hog bristles in a various sizes( 2, 4, 6, 8, 10) plus round rigger or script for certain situations.
- Palette Knife
- Canvases: I recommend 8×10 to 12×16. Canvas panels or gessoed masonite work great.
- Artist Grade Paint: This is my palette. You don’t need all of these but should have enough range to mix most any color: Titanium White, Cadmium Yellow light or Cadmium Lemon Yellow, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Red light, Burnt Sienna or Transparent Oxide Red, Alizarin Crimson, Ultramarine Blue, Viridian Green and Ivory Black
- Skin tone paint colors you must have:
- Titanium White
- Yellow Ochre
- Cadmium Red (light or medium)
- Black (or Payne’s Gray)
- Odorless Mineral Spirits or Gamsol. No turpentine please.
- Paper Towel
For those using watercolor or pastel, use pigments that approximate the above list.
If you have any questions about if this class is a good fit for you, or any other questions, please contact Alex Asher at (816) 233-7003 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Thursday) 9:30 pm - 4:00 pm(GMT-05:00) View in my time
Albrecht-Kemper Museum of Art
2818 Frederick Avenue